Major objectives of the NBA are as follows:
- To assess and accredit the technical education programs;
- To evolve standards and parameters for assessment and accreditation in line with the parameters laid down by the appropriate statutory regulatory authority for co-ordination, determination and regulation of standards in the concerned field of technical education;
- To promote excellence through a benchmarking process, which is helpful in determining whether or not an institution is able to achieve its mission and broad based goals, and in interpreting the results of the outcomes assessment process;
- To promote quality conscious system of technical education where excellence, relevance to market needs and participation by all stakeholders are prime and major determinants.
- To build a technical education system as facilitator of human resources, that will match the national goals of growth by competence, contribution to economy through competitiveness and compatibility with societal development;
- To set the quality benchmarks targeted at global and national stockpile of human capital in all fields of technical education;
- To conduct evaluation of self-assessment of technical institutions and/or programs offered by them on the basis of guidelines, norms and standards specified by it; and
- To contribute to the domain of knowledge in quality parameters, assessment and evaluation.